05 July 2009

Biblical Habits..

“But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in His law doth he meditate day and night.”
Psalms 1: 2 KJV
“Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.”
I Timothy 4:15 KJV
“I will remember the works of the Lord: surely I will remember Thy wonders of old. I will meditate also of all Thy work, and talk of Thy doings. Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?”
Psalms 77:11-13 KJV
---
Recently my DIL bought me a book to read. It is a combination travel - spiritual - autobiographical book, and an interesting look at other cultures around the world. And I found myself, though I don't agree with the author's conclusions of who God is and how mankind can have a relationship with their Creator, reading it and wondering why many Christians, myself included, don't seem to follow the practice of Biblical meditation, prayer & scripture reading to the extent that King David and other Biblical people did.
-
I have to ask myself----if a relationship with God is so very important to me why don't I prioritize spending time with Him? I mean more then just reading a few chapters of the Bible a day and praying. I mean actually spending TIME with God--time to really allow Him to speak to me through His word and prayer. Time when I am QUIET and listening not talking or doing 'to do' lists in my mind.
-
It isn't a matter of not having time, I think, for this book relates the hours spent by people in non-Christian, relatively poor countries in prayer and meditation and yet we (I), who have many modern time saving conveniences seem to get caught up in this world and often fill the time saved by these conveniences with things other then God and family. That challenges me to rethink just how important my relationship is with God and also to wonder just how much more joy and peace I would have if I became more like David who was a 'man after God's heart'.
-
Just what are my goals anyway for my life here on earth? More importantly I should be asking myself what are God's goals for my life here on this earth?
Something for me to think further on--but also something for me to ACT on for I have the same 24 hours available to me that they do.
And NOW bedtime before I fall asleep with my laptop in my lap...or dangling from my lap:)
Night all & blessings,
Aimee
---
Photo:
Cilantro flower.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...