11 March 2009

Close Encounters--of the Wildlife, Bug & Bird Type

Life in the country is interesting.

Sometimes you get to see wild animals close-up!

Sometimes they even invite themselves into your home.

Sometimes they shouldn't.


Some of our visitors and close encounters in the wild--

*
Blue heron (whoa are they huge). My close up encounter was from quite a distance and I was breathless over the size of this guy (or gal). No time to take a picture except fot the one in my memory and over the years he may have grown a LITTLE larger there--but not by much:)

-

*Ducks. One day I saw 2 REAL ducks in our larger man made pond. They were happily floating around with our fish. I called my hubby excitedly; sad to say his reaction was not quite as delighted as mine. Now, I thought I took photos--I told him there was no way I was chasing the ducks away, as he 'ordered', till I did. Alas, I cannot find them right now--sigh! You know I don't think my hubby quite understood the honor paid him by the REAL ducks in our pond. I considered it a compliment on his pond design & construction abilities:)

-

*Deer (they don’t eat our roses but apparently love our nearest neighbor’s ones; I have a theory about that actually (here in the country we like to have theories about all sorts of things). Regarding deer: I've always had a soft spot for Bambi's relatives and would gladly share our blackberries with them (and probably have), but NO mini roses or blueberries! You have to draw a line about some things and they seem to know that. So far...


*Mice (in the country they have NO manners!) My hubby the other night told me--more or less--that I had unrealistic expectations about mice from having watched cartoons when I was a child. He is most likely right; the other night I screamed and jumped back as he walked casually by--with another--very unlike any cartoon mouse I've ever seen. It was in a trap of course; I won't give you the details as I do have good boundaries, but it was NOT cute and didn't speak English or French or any other human language I've ever heard. BIGtime yuck!

-

*Snakes (garter and some kind of racer--I think). I tend to run when anyone comes near bearing a snake, or dares to show me one, so NO photos or links of THEM on my PC or blog. Ever! I apologise to all of you snake lovers out there. You have my permission to 'google' them all you want though, just please-please don't leave a link here--please!

-


*Bats---fortunately have not seen one here--yet. Thank God! You see there was this little bat-in-the-house episode when I was younger. Actually, it was more like a 2 day horrifying bat-in-the-house affair. A thing like seeing a bat's silhouette in the light of the window inside your bedroom, having them fly by you, having one appear downstairs when you are in the bathroom doing----- added to all those years of watching Dark Shadows can really do one in for liking bats. But they are great for our eco system I hear...I'm OK without firsthand knowledge of that:) Really.

-

*Sugar Cane Spider??- speaking of bathroom incidents, there is nothing more adrenaline producing then seeing a HUGE spider over your head as you are in the bathroom---unless maybe a snake, bat or mouse being near you. These guys are in my Top 4 of "avoidees"!

-

*Coyotes. Have not seen one here yet but did --close up--at Sunriver in Central Oregon. He was good enough to pose for a photo too as there was NO way I was going to leave before I got one...oh and then I had to call everyone I knew to tell them. I know, I'm a little obsessesive with the photo thing! But how often are you going to see a coyote in the wild a few feet away from ya?

Do you see him?

*Mountain goats: I wish!!! I'd love to see this guy close up. Really. Maybe someday...a person I know, who hikes a lot at high altitudes, has seen mountain goats and has the photos to prove it. I have a big time mt goat envy about it! She's seen bear too -- way UP there in the alpine and sub alpine world. To be honest I'm not too envious about that sighting but the goats are neat:)

*Speaking of bears....I've seen bear scat in the wild, and some were right near one of the cabins we stayed at, but I'm more then content being in a warm, safe cabin when they come around (and this goes for mt lion/cougars too).

Confession time about the above: I did think it very neat when they let me hold a baby cougar at a school camp when I was a child. But a big adult one---in the wild---unrestrained---I don't think so!! Besides I am older and hopefully wiser now:)

-

*In addition to the above, I've also seen fairly close up (and not in a zoo) eagles, seagulls--duh!, dragonflies, ladybugs, Canadian geese, and a fox. I'm sure there are more but it is bedtime:)

-

You know it's a blessing seeing all the wildlife God made--well I am still not too fond about the mice, snakes, etc but trust God that one day I'll see it differently. After all there is the promise here:

-

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice’ den. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea. " Isaiah 11:6-9 KJV

-

I am looking forward to the day when all men and all creatures are at peace; aren't you?

Blessings, Aimee

3 comments:

Momzoo said...

I enjoy wildlife too. This past summer we took the kids to Yellowstone and saw a lot, including two bear, one of which walked right past our car! So fun!

Animal escapades said...

Couldn't figure out how to let you know I appreciate your comments on my blog. Tater is a silly horse and Cisco's foot is almost healed. Thanks for being a reader. Never know "who" is out there :-). Cute puppies and nice nature shots on your blog!

aimee said...

Aimee.
You saw a bear walk right pass your car!! THAT would be amazing!I want to see photos on your blog--hint, hint! I've been to Yellowstone too--I think everyone should go there at least once if possible. I believe that is where I had a few people looking for a room that didn't exist:)

Scottie,
TY so much for your kind comments and visit here. I'm so glad that your dog is better:)
Your horse is SO cool--reading about his antics makes me laugh!
I LOVE following your life there in the mountains on your blog. TY so very much for sharing it with us--I am grateful!
Blessings to both of you,
Aimee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...