18 September 2012

A Trip into our Past: Brownsville + Beyond

Recently we had a very busy day--
my Farmer Boy and I.
 We made a trip into town,
driving through this bridge on the way there
(perhaps you movie fans recognize it?)
My husband badly needed a haircut and shave
so we stopped in at the local barber first--
I highly recommend him!
Afterwards my hubby accompanied me to my appointment at Jo's--
my favorite beauty shop...
I needed a lot of work done, so he had a long wait
 but I emerged a different woman!
Then it was on to the dressmaker---
to get fitted for a new dress.
I wanted something really nice for the coming autumn church socials.

Wow! This photo makes me look a LOT thinner than my mirror at home does--
my hands and feet look a little strange though.
Our last stop was at the town grocer
where I picked up some staples for the kitchen
and a few other things.
And then we were off,
"over the rivers
and through the woods"...
to our ancestors sweet, Sweet Home
and elsewhere.
 Where have you been lately?

Blessings,
Aimee

Photos:
Bridge into Brownsville
(have you guessed the movie it was in yet?)
Photos 2-5
Linn County Historical Museum,
Brownsville
(see below for more info)
Photo 6
The Gilkey Covered Bridge

Notes:
A very special thank you to the volunteer staff at the Linn County Historical Museum who gave me permission to take photos inside their AWESOME museum! My hubby, who has visited some very fine museums--including those in Washington, DC said it was one of the best he had seen
(I agreed). We thoroughly enjoyed our time there and want to go back to do some research on our Linn County ancestors). Here is their website where you can see some more photos:  http://www.co.linn.or.us/parks/museums/historymuseum.html

In addition to the museum and the historic (and incredibly beautiful) Moyer house,
Brownsville was the location for quite a few scenes in the film Stand By Me...
which was one of the reasons we wanted to go there.

After Brownsville,
we traveled the scenic byway
"Over the Rivers and Through the Woods"
to Crawfordsville
(covered bridge there)
and into Sweet Home where we had to eat at our fav drive-in.
Then up to see two more covered bridges--Hoffman + Gilkey.
It was a great summer trip:)
Here is a link to Brownsville's Chamber of Commerce
with more visitor info:
http://www.historicbrownsville.com/

Last, but certainly not least, I need to thank Becky of
http://grandmabeckyl.blogspot.com/
for arousing my interest in
 seeing historic Brownsville from a post she did quite awhile back--
she and I both share a love of historic places, besides other things:)

4 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

Hi Aimee, a very fun post, like going back in time! Love all the bridges and the old town too. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

aimee said...

Very glad that you enjoyed it Teresa! It was a very special trip-one that I would be more than happy to make again:)
Hope things are well at your place and that the haze isn't too bad.
Blessings,
Aimee

Gracie Saylor said...

Hi Aimee! I'm back from CA and catching up on your posts I missed while I was gone.
I'm glad you enjoyed Swan's Farm, too. I still have vivid memories of a visit there several years ago...soooo beautiful!
I am sorry you are not able to visit your family when you hoped to do so, and hope that you will be able to reschedule soon.
Your travels to fear less are encouraging as are your explorations around Brownsville. Your husband's comment about the museum echoed a similar observation I made after visiting the little museum in Crescent City, CA years ago. It still is my favorite museum experience to date, although I have visited other grander museums.
Gracie :)

aimee said...

Hi, Gracie~
Welcome back! Thank you for your positive comments:)
Yes, some of our smaller museums are the best!
Have a great day and enjoy our seemingly never ending sunshine!
Blessings,
Aimee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...