27 February 2012

Walking in the Footsteps of my Great-Great Grandfather



Oregon was a lot smaller then--

back when my great-great grandfather and his family were called to come here

and spread the good news of Christ.

It was before the turn of the century when he came--

not by the Oregon Trail, like two of my pioneer families did,
but first by train to California and then by ship.


He was not here for long,

he would die of tuberculosis, quite common in that time,

but he accomplished what he was sent to do...

I hope that I can say the same.


Here is one of the places he preached in.

It is was a one room schoolhouse before they added an addition in 1911.

It is (and this makes me very, very happy) still used to teach...

not reading, writing or arithmetic,

but textile skills.


And BTW---if you want to see some fantastic photos from an artist I hold in awe,

please see Teresa's blog. You will be amazed--I know I am.


I have been here once before, with my parents, during a spring drive.

But I wanted to come back and take photos with a little better camera than I had then.

And besides,

who wouldn't want to come and walk in the footsteps of their ancestor again?

To experience a little of what they would have experienced,

to see the sights they saw.

I never tire of this...

making the past come alive!

Making new memories...


Here in one of my favorite places---


I touched a piece of my past

and remembered the man and his mission.


Have you walked in the footsteps of any of your ancestors?

I highly recommend it:)

Lenten Blessings,

Aimee


Note: all photos taken this weekend except for the one of Mt Hood...you'll see why shortly when I do post the ones I took on the mountain:) Oh yes, my heart called me to the mountain and real snow this weekend and, of course, I heeded the call.

About the school---it is now Damascus Fiber Arts School.

Teresa has posts about it here

and here.

The information about my ancestor comes from a book that his son wrote, genealogical research of my own and some other family.


Soon to come: the rest of the weekend...and later more coastal photos.

But now it is time to take the dogs out.


Note for my followers:

I just wanted to take time and welcome a new follower; also to let all of you and other visitors know how much you bless me by your presence:)

2 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

Oh Aimee.. I'm sorry I didn't read this before. You are so very sweet! I really appreciate your mentioning me and your kind words. Every time I leave that school I remember halfway down the road that I wanted to take a photo of the exterior. I'm glad we're blog friends.
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

aimee said...

No problem at all. It was my pleasure to mention your great blog and talents:)
Blessings,
Aimee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...