11 July 2012

Back in Time: Vintage Finds + WORD on Wednesday

We are still going through all the things from mom and dad's house. A very frustrating task to be sure, but sometimes made pleasant by little treasures we find from our past (and their past). This past Sunday I stayed with my dad, at my sib's house while they were out of town. I went through 2 large bags of clothes--some of which I kept--and then I found this medium box my sibling had set aside...inside were momentos from junior high and high school years, but there were also these treasures:)
I love the trim on this one, the hemline and -- of course -- the main color used! 
Can you see a little girl baking cookies with her apron clad mom in the early 60's?
And how about this cute, probably homemade, potholder?
In our childhood we spent quite a few days at Kah-Nee-Tah in Oregon's high desert
(Warm Springs Reservation) among teepees, Indian fry bread, dancing, horses and warm, beautiful blue swimming pools.  Good days!
When I was older, I attended a Pow Wow on the coast--the dancing, the Native American traditional costumes, the salmon baked in the old way were all wonderful! But another thing that stood out to me was the Native American's deep respect for their elders--that was deeply meaningful to me.
I think in our youth oriented culture we have lost that.
Not that our youth aren't important--no! That is our legacy;
they are our the only treasures we leave when we pass on.
But our senior citizens have so much to offer us--in cultural values,
rich memories of days gone by,
and much, much more.
What we stand to lose if we ignore this rich heritage we have.
Another little apron with pretty flowers.  
An old handkerchief.
Yes in the days before facial tissue, we used cloth handkerchiefs:) 
This reminds me of the story of the Three Little Pigs;
anyone else remember that?
"Little pig, little pig let me come in"
BAD wolf! LOL
Another, more vibrant, apron.
Very nice colors on this one.
An old pair of scizzors...hum, I am wondering if these might have been our grandma's...
do you know how old hey might be?  
And last, but not least, were these gloves.
They are embroidered at the wrists and also in the area that fits over the back of the hand.
Pretty colors; not sure when these were made...

Also found--
but not in the box
NOPE
were photos of my mom
in grade school.
These were adorable
and I excitedly told my sibling about them when they returned from their time out of town:)
THESE
were the truly priceless treasures:)

What treasures from your past have you found?
What is your favorite era?
What do you want to leave your children?
Your grandchildren?

WORD on Wednesday:

There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing:
there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches...
a good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children...
Proverbs 13: 7, 22a KJV

5 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

It looks like you found some really neat vintage things. I'm glad you're saving them. I love all the vintage things.. you should see the inside of my house, it looks like a grandmas house from 100 years ago! Thanks for sharing. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

aimee said...

Teresa~
I would LOVE your house then:) I find that the older I get, the more I like the things my grandparents, parents and I grew up with as opposed to more modern things.
Your pinecone earrings are SO pretty!
Blessings,
Aimee

Gracie Saylor said...

Your summer times on the Reservation sound wonderful! I like handmade, used things. To the next generation I want to pass on joy for life, appreciation for beauty, a desire to be servant-leaders who grow in their relationship with Christ.
Gracie <3

aimee said...

Gracie~
Yes, we enjoyed our times at Kah-Nee-Tah (it is a resort the Warm Spring tribe created). Although Native American, we appreciated the beautiful dancing and food, along with the terrain, teepees and such:)
I agree--love handmade items!
LOVE the things you want to pass on to the next generation! May God will it to be so.
Blessings,
Aimee

aimee said...

Warm Springs tribe--typo:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...