05 June 2010

It's Home!

Back here in May, I posted that I had found some old books when I was visiting my parents last month. Some had been passed down to my dad from his father (when he went to college in the PNW); others were originally his grandfather's (author, minister and professor at a Christian college).
-
This last week, when I was staying a couple nights with my parents, (due to family health issues), my father told me I didn't have to borrow the book I had wanted to; he was just giving it to me!! So now this family heirloom is mine:)
-
Of course the first thing I did when I got it home was to photograph the pages I am most interested in at this time (so I would have to handle this very old and fragile book as little as possible). Next I will find some archival quality, acid free sheaths to enclose it in to prevent further deterioration.
-
Here are some of my favorites quotes from the book thus far:

First learn then teach.

Say little and do much.

-Truth is heavy, therefore few care to carry it.
Who is rich? He who is content with his lot.

Hospitality is an expression of Divine worship.
The place honours not the man, ‘tis the man who gives honour to the place.
-
Blessings for a meaningful Sunday,
Aimee
-
Photos:
sage, chives, dianthus
Quotes from:
Chandos Classics, The Talmud Selections by H. Polano (summer, 1876).
'Proverbs and Sayings of the Rabbis'.
If you would like to see some photos of the book please feel free to see the above link.

2 comments:

Sallyo said...

Very exciting! What a treasure to have that book. I really like the quotes, too.

aimee said...

Thanks! It has a lot of really great quotes--some very close to ones found in the Bible!Glad you liked it:)
Blessings,
Aimee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...