30 May 2011

A Witness Now

Among the trees, flowering shrubs and manicured lawn they lay,

side by side,


each with their resting place marked

by a grave marker and American flag.


For this is a National Cemetery --

one of many and it is the final resting place for
Veterans of World War I and II, Korea, Vietnam and more recent conflicts.


Comrades in arms;

both those who have passed on full of years

and those who died while in the prime of their life.


The flags -- small and large --

wave in the breeze on the hillsides here;

so many lives--so many stories told and untold.


We come here-

children and other descendants, schoolmates, friends

and parents too.

Veterans and civilians,

some who have not forgotten the ferocity and cost of battle;

others who just feel the need to remember, to witness

this day-

the service and the sacrifice

of the precious souls at rest in this hallowed ground

above the city.


"You're his witness now.

Without a witness, they just disappear."


Blessings to the families of our fallen Veterans today.

May you find peace in the midst of your loss

and may you know we will remember.


Aimee

~

Note: above quote taken from 'Taking Chance', HBO films, 2009. USA.


Photos taken spring 2011, Willamette National Cemetery.

2 comments:

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

I've been there many times on Patriot Guard missions...none lately though.
I know a few people buried there, two uncles and an aunt and a friend's wife.

aimee said...

I figured that you had! I want to go back there someday, when it is less crowded, to find a certain grave--not a family member or someone I even knew but one of the Soldiers lost a few years ago. I want to leave some flowers for him. I also want to see the Korea Monument there.

We have several Veterans in our extended family--one that died in WW2 but he isn't buried there.

I cannot say enough good things about the Patriot Guards---I've never seen them in person but their reputation is pure gold for what they do for our Vets and their families. TY for your service with them:)

I hope all your family/friends lived a long, full life. I am sorry for your loss. It is not easy to lose those you love--even when they are older.

Blessings,
Aimee
PS: TY for you comment BTW:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...