11 September 2015

Pieces + Potpourri

Wow has it been a busy and stressful (but very blessed) last two weeks!
Our repair job is progressing nicely, but was more challenging than originally thought
and some of it will have to be postponed till next year...
SO happy that my DH is part mountain goat!
SO happy that God truly does hear our prayers!
SO thankful for families that won't take no for an answer and
head over to help with huge tarps during windy days
(yep, they're part mountain goat too--unlike Miss Aimee)
 
Anyway, I don't want to bore you too much with details like
a smashed car window,
locked brakes on an RV,
NO snake sightings in like forever,
chopped down plants that have a tie to President Hoover
(more about that one on another day),
new (and MUCH) improved Internet service,
etc.,
etc.
Oh and someone you know is going to be a...soon:)
 
But I don't want to bore you with all the details that make up my sometimes crazy life,
so it's on to photo time. Here's a few photos from the Ilahee Siletz Pow Wow we attended in the amazing Siletz River Valley with the Small One--of course!
 
 
After choosing one of the shuttle pick up sites in Siletz, we were soon picked up
by a wonderful mini bus and driven to the Pow Wow grounds at Government Hill.
A long, long time ago I attended the pow wow here and just never forgot that memorable celebration.
The beautiful, symbolic regalia of the dancers,
the wonderful food,
the deep respect and honor that the Native Americans pay to their elders
(and the Veterans)...
the lovely wooded setting.
I was beyond thrilled (and almost in tears during the Grand Entry) for getting to be there again!
 

Did I say food?
Totally yummy, indescribably delicious food?
Well, yes I did and here's one of my (and now Small One's favs)--
Indian frybread.
Just thinking about it's deliciousness is killing me...
I had my first fry bread at Kah Nee Ta, a resort on the Warm Springs Reservation in central Oregon where we used to go frequently as kids and hang out with the bears at their super large heated pools.
It is one of my goals--should our projects ever slow down--to make it this autumn.
 
 
Small One and I ate our snow cones on a hillside.
There we were blessed to see some beautiful young girls practicing their dance steps.
It was incredible...
lovely young Native women continuing the traditions of their people to the deep,
pounding rhythm of the drums.
For our next dining location, we were on another hillside in another wooded area where we were entertained blessed by a lovely butterfly that was also dancing--but on the winds.
 
 
Fabulous day.
A lovely, hospitable people that I learn from every time I am blessed to be in their presence.
 
Well, duty calls so more on another day!
Blessings,
Aimee
 
Oh--before I go.
Some snake trivia for you.
Did you know that rattlesnakes used to live in the Willamette Valley?
Oh yes, and there are still some places where they can be found.
BTW, for other snake-phobes like me, beware as the link above has lovely
(or unlovely) photos of the slithery ones :(
It is interesting history though.
 
Another snake fact (maybe?).
I thought, though I may not have heard correctly, that on the news recently they said
snakes are more cranky in the autumn before they hibernate? Anyone know? Personally, I am hoping for an early snake hibernation this year:)
 
 
 
 

16 comments:

Jill said...

Great post, and I can pass on anything having to do with snakes, lol. Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog... have a fabulous weekend!

Blessings,
Jill

Tori Leslie said...

Wow, seriously sounds like you had a very eventful two weeks. Don't even want to know about the smashed window and such, sounds like a bummer.
The pow wow sounds great. How interesting and that food, yummo!
Snakes? NO NO NO!! I'm from Texas so we have our fair share and then some but here in Croatia there are few and most of them are on the sea. Luckily, I don't live by the sea. :0)
Have a great weekend!

Linda W. said...

I haven't been to a pow wow for many years. How fun to that you got to go! Hope your home projects get completed and you can enjoy our cooler fall weather.

My Dog Sam - Ruptured Disk said...

Wow, you've had an eventful time. You're fortunate to have some very good people around you and nearby. Our move from one house to the other didn't go well. After the movers came and left, my peeps made 7 to 9 round trips packing and moving stuff between the old house and the new house from about 5:00 PM to 4:00 AM. My dad decided to quit when he started to fall asleep at the wheel. Yikes!!! They got it all done a few hours later after catching a couple of hours sleep. Your 2 weeks sounds like that.

Teresa Kasner said...

Oh how wonderful for you to get to go to that pow wow! I love the photo of the teepees set up behind the trees. I have never heard of that one. Good to see you back posting! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Betsy said...

It sounds like you've had a very eventful couple of weeks Aimee. The pow wow looks wonderful. So much fun to be there in the midst of it all. Dennis and I are planning to be in Lincoln City and up and down the coast for a few days in the middle of October. I'm so looking forward to smelling the ocean once again. Maybe we'll even see each other along the way!
Blessings,
Betsy

aimee said...

@Jill~
Glad you enjoyed it! I agree with you 100% on the snake thing! I really, really, really dislike them but found it interesting that they used to live in the valley. SO glad they aren't on our coast or in the northern valley anymore. The ones we have are scary enough and they aren't poisonous.
Blessings,
Aimee

@Tori~
It has been! But, as of this eve, more things are crossed off my "to do" list (yea)! The smashed window is definitely a bummer and I can hardly wait till it's fixed. The pow wow was beyond wonderful! So want to go again! I see I am in great company with bloggers who don't like snakes:) That is fascinating about Croatia--I had no idea. Yep, if I lived there, I would want to live inland too!
Blessings,
Aimee

@Linda~
More projects were done this weekend and my hubby even offered to take me on a drive! If he offers tomorrow, my answer will be YES!!! The pow wow was awesome! Can't wait to go again:) Hopefully you'll get to go to another one someday too.
Blessings,
Aimee

@Sammy~
For sure my furry friend, for sure! I am SO sorry the move didn't go as smoothly as we all hoped it would. Moving is defintely not fun to do, but I hope you are settling into your new home now and that your dad caught up on his sleep (your mom too)!
As of today, more of the big projects are done or almost done. My Farmer Boy (hubby) deserves some kind of award for all he has done--maybe cookies--he LOVES cookies:)
Blessings,
Aimee

@Teresa~
It was wonderful Teresa! You and your grandsons would have loved it! Beautiful setting, beautiful people. Thanks on the teepee photo--it was my fav of the non dancing type:)
Good to be back. Good to have GOOD Internet too:)
Blessings,
Aimee

Wishing you all a blessed and joy filled week!

aimee said...

@Betsy~
Too eventful for sure! Glad a few more things are done as of tonight:) I LOVED the pow wow! I am SO excited for you and your hubby's upcoming trip to the coast! Hoping we do see each other--one never knows.
Blessings,
Aimee

Victor S E Moubarak said...

When you make the fry bread, could you please share the recipe. That photo looks so yummy.

The only fact I know about snakes is that people in the nude should not engage them in conversation. Ask Adam and Eve.

God bless.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Yum, that fry bread looks good enough to eat right through the monitor! I just had some delicious fry bread a couple of days ago at the Pendleton Round Up. Love it so much. Sounds like you've been super busy. Hope the summer was good overall for you. Blessings, Jackie

aimee said...

@Victor~
HAHAHAHA! THANK you SO much for the laugh your comment gave me! I will be more than happy to share the recipe I use for fry bread once I have tried it out:)
Blessings,
Aimee

@Jackie~
It was!!! Fry bread is totally yummy and I am so lucky NOT to live near any place that makes it -- othersize I would be eating some weekly :) Yes, super busy here-- or at least my hubby has been. He just started a new project and we have a whole bunch more on the never ending 'to do' list.
Blessings,
Aimee

Gracie Saylor said...

What? I missed this, too? Mercy! So glad you had help to overcome your various calamities! And I am glad you have not seen snakes for awhile...I do not like the idea of rattlesnakes lurking around the Willamette Valley!!! From what you and Teresa have reported, attending a Pow Wow sounds very special. Thanks for posting about it! xx

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Great festival ... One I've never heard of, but would certainly enjoy! Fond memories of Kaneeta however! We once took our granddaughter there for a birthday weekend when she was a small one ! ( the one who is now the mother of our great- grandsons!). Time flies when you're having fun)))

aimee said...

@Gracie~
No problem :) I was really suprised the Willamette Valley had oncc been home to rattlers. YIkes. You should go to a Pow Wow someday--it is a very memorable experience!
Blessings,
Aimee

@Sallie~
I know you would enjoy the Pow Wow. It would be a bit of a drive for you, but then you could see some of the beaches up north:) Time sure does fly--I recall carrying my oldest son, as a babe, across the bridge at Kah-Nee-Tah! It's a great place!
Blessings,
Aimee

Bethany Carson said...

The fry bread does look very good! Glad you had an enjoyable trip. The smashed car window and locked breaks do not sound in the least fun! But the "someone you know is going to be a...soon" announcement sounds exciting and intriguing!

aimee said...

@Bethany~
It was fantastic and I am really excited because I just found a place in western Oregon that also makes frybread. Now I can eat some between Pow Wows! The RV still has a brake issue, but the car window has been fixed(yea). LOL---THAT announcement will be coming soon--or, I should say, as soon as I have time to put a post together:)
BLessings,
Aimee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...